One full Saturday spent with Yang Huiling and Alvin Lee
I don't know if some of you could remember, we are still on a search for a pet. We kinda widened our choices to include cats and rabbits. On our way to town, we spotted a very cute black cat with white socks loitering around our car park. HL was so excited that she immediately summoned Alvin to 'catch' the puss home.
Gleefully delighted at the prospect of owning a pet cat, I named it 'bai bai'. Which means 'white' in Mandarin. Tacky as it sounds, but I think it's rather appropriate for a charming cat with white paws. .Doncha think? Though Alvin expertly handled the cat in his safe arms and carried it back to our kollegium, the cat managed to run away scot free as our door was left ajar. We could have ran after it but it also tugged our hearts that maybe it was better off let free considering the lack of space in our dorm.
We were late for the match between Man U and Chelsea because of the cat delay. Bridgewater cafe was a typical hang out for soccer fans to get drunk, swear, curse and guffaw in front of the screen. The place reeked of cheap alcohol and cigeratte smoke and not long after, I escaped for a scrumptious danish buffet and fresh air while the rest stayed.
Alvin looking disappointed by Man U's defeat of 1-0.
The family-michael, his wife -hannah and children- Jacob and Chris age 16 and 19 respectively.
In the evening, we were invited by a Danish family for some authentic danish food. We were warmly welcomed by Michael and his family and we were treated with great hospitality. We knew Michael because he was Huiling's father's ex-colleague. I was really glad that i was presented an opportunity to experience what it was like to live in a danish home in which was indeed a great place for 'hygge' (danish term for 'cosiness'). When it was time to leave, I realised that I was heavily weighed down by the immense inertia to move. Maybe because I had too much wine, too bloated by the food, or maybe it was just so cosy I wanted to stay for good.

Baked potatoes and grilled veal served in dark sauce.

Raw salmon with mustard sauce. What a treat.

1 Comments:
so we should hygge one day soon too! hahahaha
5:02 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home