Approximately 4 days before my departure to Holland and subsequently Belgium, I made the hasty decision to go on a little short trip to visit Debbie and her friend, Ee Kean. I was on a tight shoe string budget, however it was good to know that every money spent was stretched to its fullest worth. We visited Netherland's Amsterdam and Rotterdam and Belgium's Leuven(where Debbie resides in), Brussels, Antwerp and Brugges. Lovely places and most importantly, the friends who were with me made up the best part of the trip.Of overall impressions-
***
Amsterdam
one of the many unique cities of Netherlands that is built on a dam.
A land of
tranquility
historical footprints

I certainly did not like sitting on it. (Me at the Erotic Museum)
And liberal openess
In the realms of sex, drugs and homosexuality.
Speaking of drugs, I finally understood what Bridget Jones was talking about when she tripped on 'magic mushrooms' at a Thai beach. Influenced by society's liberal and hackneyed attitude towards drugs, we stepped into a 'drug store' and legally purchased a packet of 'magic mushrooms' which cost us about 13.50Euros. That night's regular evening chi tea had a little something extra in it-'magic mushrooms' gravy (basically we boiled the mushrooms for 30 minutes)! With less than 5% of the concoction in my drink, I didnt expect my body to respond much to it. Boy, was I ultimately wrong. Within 20 minutes of consumption, my sense of perception was terribly warped. For a start, I mistook people queuing up for the ATM as waiting to get into a club; felt as if I was stuck in a vacuumed time capsule in which I saw a strand of white hair/string/fur suspended in the air whilst the surrounding was totally blur; I thought it was perfectly normal to explain the theory of static electricity to Debbie at 3.30am in the wee morning. (Sorry Deb, I know I made you berserk!) Ee Kean was in a worser state than I was. She hallucinated psychedllic colours on the walls; her mind began to think very fast and economic theories suddenly made complete sense to her; and she saw people around her moving at extreme speeds. It was crazy of us to make ourselves crazy. Geez. But all in all, it was an experience I will never forget! Caution: Not for the faint hearted.
***
Belgium
A mini London. That's what I perceive of it. A historical setting peppered with all things cosmopolitan, old and new. When I think of Belgium till this day, I can't help but reminisce its
orgasimic chocolades
Pipping hot and mouth watering waffles
Picturesque sceenary
Lively city and its people
And its regal architecture (many in which have significant historical and political importance to it)
Here for more photos.
Comparing both countries, I preferred Belgium more. Maybe it's the chocolates, or the waffles or the architecture, the fact that it is less mordern than Rotterdam, its beautiful sceenary, less complications in its society, more political stability, the rivers of brugges...whatever it was I can't explain the affinity I had with the place. I'm glad I'm visiting Brussels again during Easter break, but this time together with the other exchange students. This time round I'm sure I would have an even more meaningful trip because the school is planning to take us to the parliament and explain to us about the EU system and Belgium's involvement. I know I sound like a nerd, but I really really really do like to learn something as important and relevant as this and best, to be in its environment and witness everything at its core. Thank God for this opportunity.
Oh, and on a side note, after this coming visit to Brussels I will be meeting up with Debbie to tour Barcelona!! ZARA here I COME!!!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home