Sha and I embarked on an impromptu journey to Johor Bahru as a substitute for our pilgrimage. Our shopping and eating day excursion was not enough for us after having gone through 3 hours of customs in which we experienced the worst and most excruciating queue ever! Packed like sardines in a non air conditioned room, we were all jostling elbow to elbow, gasping for breath till the extent that Sha was about to faint. Finally, we reached the state of Johor, and we decided to stay over for the night so that we could shop till our hearts content. It was absolutely a crazy idea especially we had nothing but our passports with us. Moreover, we were a little afraid especially hearing many horror stories on the papers about people getting murdered and hacked for just 50 ringgit. In the end, we decided to play by ear and only decide at the time when we were finally satisfied with our shopping.

Our new hair colour-photo taken with my new Nokia 6288 built in camera.
Francis, a 21 years old cute boyish chinese malaysian, was our first participant in our quest to establishing a meaningful bond with someone in Malaysia. He was actually one of the sidekicks who helped to wash and blow dry my hair when we went for a hair dye treatment. It was really cheap! For just 70 SGD compared to the 160 SGD I usually pay back home. After complaining about the itchy sensation the chemicals got onto my scalp, we started chatting and immediately cliqued! He got us all psyched up when I asked him whether he wanted to take 2 gorgeous girls out for a night of partying. He was pretty interested in taking us out but couldn't confirm anything as his friends were not too sure on going out. He also helped us along with places to stay that were affordable and decent.
Shopping at City Square took us the whole day and by the time we stepped out of the building, it was close to 11pm. Stranded in a rough city and having no decisions, we took a breather from our anxiety and fears as we stopped by a mini van selling sticks of delicious skewed meat and other kinds of food and ordered some for ourselves. That was when we met our second fatefully placed kind and pretty good looking stranger-Ah Ben. Ah Ben was happily eating with his other friends when I approached him for any places to stay and area code for me to contact Francis. After much discussion with his friends and how dangerous it was for 2 young girls to be galivanting in dangerous Johor at night, he volunteered to drive us to 'Hotel Sentosa'. And so we ...Did. We hopped into his car as he drove us to our destination. Along the way, he told me he was 25 years old and the only time he had been to Singapore was only to Woodlands for a day! To our delight, Ah Ben was so gentlemanly as to let us stay in his car while he went up the hotel to check for vacancies and even saw that we checked in properly. The room was decent and clean, for just 70 ringgit a night. We took it.
Francis on the other hand, called to check on us to see whether we were ok. He was totally shocked when he heard we had actually gotten into a stranger's car and was worried sick!hahaha...In the end we gave up on the clubbing as we were too shagged out to do anything.

Sha and I having Hong Kong food at Jusco


Caught a glimpse of Victor Wong performing at Pelangi. No idea who he is though. Some Taiwanese superstar.
Ok, there's quite a few stuff I want to reflect about with regards to this trip-
Firstly, I want to brush up on my Chinese. I didn't expect myself to be using Mandarin to converse with the Malaysians. I thought I could just leave it to Sha since she was back to her ancestors' land. I was so wrong. But anyway, it felt good conversing in Mandarin and I so want to speak my mother tongue fluently.
Secondly, I wonder how ugly I might have looked if I was born in Malaysia and not Singapore. I swear their clothes sense is very distasteful to the cosmopolitan eye. I couldn't even find any clothes that were suitable for me-they were either very OG looking, or very taiwanese and Japanese inspired. Pardon me. It's just the way I see it. I can't help it. But on the other hand, I might have become less of a materialistic bitch and be pleasantly simple.
Next, I find that the 2 Malaysian boys whom we had made friends with are really down to earth and simple guys---a stark contrast to some of our local boys whom I think have zero EQ skills, and on top of that, very complicated. I definitely would rather have the company of sincere and gentlemanly guys, who do not have ulterior motives up their sleeves and are genuine in helping you without any form of repayment. And really, although i've always thought 'Cheena' and I don't go together, I realise that I actually value sincerity and company above such notions. They just become transient to me. Seriously, I don't mind hanging out with simple guys like that, than to go out with a pompous and obnoxious cum sleazy, touchy banker at a fancy restaurant (that date gave me the goosebumps and it's so going to be my first and last time with him). At least, I don't have to spend time wondering and delving into his complicated mind. I prefer cordial, I prefer simple.
And lastly, I thank God for protecting Sha and I in our dare devil endeavours. Come to think of it, we were lucky to have made it alive! We also managed to exchange numbers with ben and francis so that whenever any of us visit each other, we know who to call.
Just blessed.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home