Monday, July 10, 2006

Malmö

I always love to put myself to challenges. To test how gutsy I can be. To always prove to myself something. An endless task of proving my independence, the feminism in me, to simply throw myself into the murky waters and see how long i can stay afloat. Best still, the freedom of having only yourself to answer to-one of the many perks of exchange and being single( it's been scientifically proven that single girls are more adventurous *grinz*)..And I'm glad a spur of events propelled me to make an impromptu decision to go on a lone ranger trip to Malmö, Sweden. (only half hour ride from cph to malmo+3.5 hour ride from aarhus to cph)

Upon hearing that there was a bed available in the hostel, I packed my bags, caught the bus to the train station and plonked my ass onto the train within an hour. I couldn't imagine myself doing it. I know many people have done it before, especially the caucasians and men, but to me it was something I had never anticipated myself to do! Though I was alone, I was never lonely. It was really a breath of fresh air having the liberty to shop for as long as you want, making friends with 5 other strangers (all ladies) in the hostel (a canadian girl even went out dinner with me), talking to random strangers who turned out to be drunkards and mormons at the train station( some church organisation originating from Utah aiming to preach their own version of the bible) etc. It was indeed an eye opening and exciting experience for me. Never was I a moment's bored as I was assured that something sooner or later was going to surprise me-in a hugely positive sense.


Looking at the above pictures ( first top: square of malmo; above: river near malmo castle), I think you will all agree with me that malmo is a small little city that isn't too fantastic but nonetheless has its beauty to flaunt. Armed with my map and other essentials, I carried my aimless and curious heart, exploring the city with delight.

Unravelling many surprises was one in which I found my new found respect and idolism for this lady by the name of Mary Beth Edelson. Guess it was a splendid opportunity to admire at her wonderful works of art touting her femistic views. Despite many rather offensive works, she continued to pursue her message relentlessly. I really respect her alot and will always keep her constant reminders close to my heart. Basically she used anything artistic to express herself -

I liked this very interactive and free concept of hers very much. Edelson had this box of cards which asked several provoking questions; one of which was about what your mother/father taught you about women. The box was being displayed and moved through several exhibitions around the world and i was indeed amused, disgusted, disappointed in some of the answers written by people. I too threw in my 2 cents worth by writing my answers on some blank cards.

Edelson also played around with the image of Gina Rowlands holding a gun in the movie Gloria. A lady holding a gun denotes some kind of power that she oughts to have. She had her image on a silk curtain, bed, collages, and other forms of art works. I loved this moving message that she'd written around the image of gina:

'Today, I'll be grateful to all my relationships. I will open myself to the lesson and the gift to each person in my life. I will trust that I, too, am a gift, in other peoples' lives.'
And lastly, my favourite of all was her 'portrait' project. She painted several pictures of great women of the century ( recommended by like minded feminist artistes) and placed all these portraits behind a formidable looking desk and chair. She wants to shift the popular idea of having great and powerful men (always leaders)'s portraits hung behind an office desk to the idea that women too have contributed greatly to the society and should be admired and inspiring to others too. It's super cool!!
Treating myself to a good meal at Lilla Torg that evening, I ordered a delicious plate of pasta with crab meat. It was delicious. The waiters were yummy too. *grinz*.

A good end to my little 3 days 2 nights expedition was seen with the victory of Sweden over Paraguay 1-0 in the World Cup. Unexpectedly, the two were playing with one another and I was just in time to catch the match together with the enthusiastic locals who were donned in yellow and blue. I managed to witness the Swedish peoples' moment of passion and glory when they scored at the last minute.
I urge all of you, anyone of you, to dare yourself on trip alone. Rough it out, it's character building. Good luck.

Photos

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home